Welcome to Clint Small’s Green Tech Academy!
Thanks for checking us out! We are Clint Small Middle School, but there is nothing small about us. With over 1200 students, we offer a variety of courses that cater to all types of interests. Whether programming robots in our Pre-engineering program, milking goats to make soap or growing and cooking your own food, students from all over Austin come to our school to explore, learn and have fun.
If you live outside of our attendance zone and are interested in becoming a CSMS Cougar, you are in the right place. Explore this page to learn more about the application process and to sign up for a tour.
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Zoom Q & A Sessions
Join us online for a chat about our academy. Meet some teachers and learn about why your student would choose small's green tech academy for thier middle school education.
Pick a date that works for you:
- October 25, 2023
- November 15, 2023
- December 13, 2023
- January 24, 2024
All sessions are at 5:30pm - 7:00pm
Zoom Meeting Registration (We will email you a link to the zoom meeting The day of the event.)
By popular demand we have opened some on-campus tours.
Our tours will focus on:
- Get a look and feel of small
- What makes small special
- Small's middle school philosophy
- Our dual language program
- Our green tech academy
- How apply
Tours will begin at 8:30am and last about an hour.
Tour Pre-Register (Please pre-register for tours.)
About our Program
The Clint Small Middle School Green Tech Program includes innovative course offerings in environmental studies and technology. CSMS is a National “Green Ribbon” school, and the first school in Texas to earn the Eco-Schools USA Green Flag Award from the National Wildlife Federation.
Our unique program allows students to select an academic track that focuses on the environment, technology, or a blend of the two. The Green Tech curriculum includes a wide variety of visionary electives, including many opportunities for outdoor learning, project-based learning, and team collaboration among students.
Over the years, students, teachers, and volunteers have transformed more than 4,000 square feet of barren space surrounding our campus into native habitat for ruby-throated hummingbirds, monarch butterflies, songbirds, small mammals and more. They have built a greenhouse, a meditative labyrinth, wildflower gardens, a rain garden, and a reconstructed prairie. They also have productive food gardens, orchards, and habitat corridors. Starting this year 2023/2024 we are expanding our Green area. Learn more here:
Highlights of the Green Academy include:
- more than 300 native plant species planted by students
- outdoor classroom spaces and greenhouse
- raising chickens, ducks, goats, and sheep
- composting, recycling
- water harvesting
Highlights of the Tech Academy include:
- STEM Advanced Learner program leading students to high school math and science courses in the 8th grade
- Project Lead the Way pre-engineering curriculum
- state-of-the-art Career and Technical Education (CTE) wing
- classes in robotics, animation, engineering, app design, and more
- options to earn high school credit with select tech electives
Important Dates for 24-25 Applications
- November 8th, 2023 – Applications for Transfer/Academies open up
- November 29th, 2023 - Cougar Showcase - Come to Small and walk booth to booth. Meet our teachers and talk to our students about all the classes we have to offer. See Flyer Here
- February 6th, 2024 Application Deadline* – Last day to have your application complete– ALL essays & recommendations must be submitted through the application by this date.
- February 20th, 2024 - All students need to be coded in the system by schools.
- March 4th, 2024 - Acceptance Results are displaed in Enroll Austin
- March 29th, 2024 - Deadline for receipt of student’s decision letters accepting or rejecting admission
- April 2nd, 2024 - General Transfers Open
- April TBD - Celebration for all students who will be enrolling in our Green Tech Academy Program - In person - 6:00 - 7:30 p.m.
- Summer TBD- Cougar 6th Grade Summer Camp on campus
- August TBD - Campus Scavenger Hunt - 11 to 1pm
- August TBD- Parent Camp on Zoom 6 - 7:30pm
How to Apply to Small
Our Application to Small Green Tech Academy is currently open!
The deadline to apply is February 6th, 2024.
Go to your Parent Portal (portal.austinisd.org) and find the "Enroll Austin" Tile in the parent portal.
For best results, rank Small Green Tech Academy #1!
NEXT STEPS, Please fill out our next steps to sign up for an essay date
How to get Accepted
We look at 3 things
Student On-Site Essays
You can find our Rubric for grading here